Monday, May 5, 2014

Lagoon

As I have mentioned before, The House on the Hilltop is sooooo 1974. I love it, but there are a lot of potential projects that present themselves.

For example, there is lots of dark wood. The trim is dark, the doors are dark, the 9 bajillion cabinets are all made from dark wood. It is beautiful wood, but there is a lot of it. Even the bajillion windows can't compensate for all this dark wood.

I have this voice in my head (I think it's the voice of my realtor, who said, "This wood is in such good condition. Why would you want to paint it?), that says, "This wood is in such good condition. Why would you want to paint it?" That voice, along with my fear of doing it "wrong," has made me afraid to do what I want to do, which is paint the 9 bajillion cabinets! Why can't I just do it?

So, I decided to experiment in the laundry room. After all, it's just the laundry room. If I paint it the wrong colors, I haven't ruined the whole house.

This is what I started with. Tan walls and dark cabinets. Good wood, but, Blah.


I painted the walls the same color I used in my kitchen, Sherwin Williams Watery. It's a soothing blue/green color. I love it. Then, I went two steps darker for the bottom cabinets, Sherwin Williams Lagoon. You can see that I tested out Sherwin Williams Divine White on the top cabinets. That's the next step.

 
 
I have decided that Lagoon is a bit much for my kitchen, but I *LOVE* it for the laundry room. I can't wait to finish this room. I spend a lot of time in there (big family= lots of laundry), so I'm excited to make it beautiful.
 
More pictures to follow when it's complete. 

1 Comments:

At September 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Karen@Southern Gal Meets Midwest said...

SW Watery is a great color for your walls. Have you considered SW Gray Matters for the cabinets? I have a late 1950s ranch home with kitchen cabinets of the same dark wood as yours. I have been staring at them for 3 years since moving in. I have decided to use these colors in my kitchen and think it will be a nice change. Good Luck with your laundry room :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home